By Irene Gaitirira
Published August 19, 2015
Theatre groups from all over the world are invited to apply for participation in the second edition of Alexandria International Festival for Contemporary Theatre in Egypt that is scheduled for April 6-10, 2016.
“We are interested in hosting diverse performances by artists who present innovative and highly-professional works and performances that have clear visions or interact with society in a creative way,” the organisers, Bibliotheca Alexandrina Arts Center (BA), say. “The festival welcomes pantomime, comedy, improvisation, clowns, contemporary dance, and performances that depend on images and the use of colors, lights, and videos.”
Interested participants may download application form and required attachments from bibalex.org/en/News/Details?DocumentID=18066&Keywords website, complete the material and then send it to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before September 15, 2015.
But before one fills in the application form, one is expected to adhere to the following terms:
1. The form or content of the performance–or both–must be relevant to the main theme of the festival, “contemporary theatre”.
2. The duration of the performance must range from 45 to 70 minutes.
3. Traveling to and from Egypt is the responsibility of the participants. The festival organizing committee covers local transportation only.
4. The festival organizing committee covers a maximum of five nights of hotel accommodation (half board) in Alexandria for maximum ten people per performance.
5. The festival organizing committee provides two single rooms maximum and five rooms in total per group, even if the number of participants is less than ten.
6. Accompanying staff–anyone who is not an actor, dancer, or performer–should not exceed four people.
7. Selected performances are expected to send an abstract of the playâ€™s plot divided into chapters or scenes (maximum two pages in Arabic or English) to be distributed during the performance.
Alexandria International Festival for Contemporary Theatre “is a new platform through which the BA can introduce international contemporary theatrical performances to local audiences,” the organisers say. The first edition of the festival is reported to have taken place in Alexandria May 2-7, 2015.