By Iminza Keboge
Published July 5, 2016
Theatre practitioners from all over the world are invited to participate in the 3rd annual Alexandria International Festival for Contemporary Theatre.
Organisers of the event, Bibliotheca Alexandrina Arts Centre (BA), say they will host 15 performances during the festival that is scheduled for April 20-28, 2017 in Egypt.
Referring to the event as a new platform through which to “introduce international contemporary theatrical performances to local audiences,” BA says it is “interested in hosting diverse performances by artists who present innovative and highly professional works and performances that have clear visions or interact with society in a creative way.”
The performance art forms BA says it is interested in are pantomime, comedy, improvisation, clowns, contemporary dance, multimedia, and interactive performances.
BA’s 10 terms for groups interested in participating in the festival are that:
1. The form or content of the performance–or both–must fit with the main theme of the festival, i.e. contemporary theatre
2. The duration of the performance must range from 30 to 70 minutes
3. Traveling to and from Egypt is the responsibility of the participants
4. The festival covers local transportation only
5. The festival covers a maximum of five nights of hotel accommodation (half board) in Alexandria for a maximum of eight people per performance
6. Accompanying staff–anyone who is not an actor, dancer, or performer–should not exceed three people
7. Selected groups are expected to send an abstract of the playâ€™s plot divided into chapters or scenes(maximum two pages in Arabic or English) to be distributed during the performance
8. Accepted performances are expected to send any needed information on time
9. The completed form and the required attachments should be sent by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
10. Each group or artist is allowed to present only one form for only one performance.
Setting the deadline for receiving applications on Wednesday, 31 August 2016, BA says accepted performances will be notified before Wednesday, 5 October 2016.