By Ogova Ondego
Published January 11, 2014
Africa Film Academy (AFA), that organises the annual Africa Movie Academy Awards (AMAA), has released guidelines for the inaugural Media Recognition Awards during the 10th AMAA.
Steve Ayorinde, Chairman of the Jury for the 10th AMAA anniversary edition, says journalists in the print, broadcast and online media will have a chance to win US$5000, US$3000 and US$2000 prizes “by submitting their best two articles and/or feature stories that depict the essence of AMAA and impact on African Cinema.”
‘’Iif you think you don’t have any good story in the last 9 years,” Ayorinde tells journalists in Africa and the Diaspora, “start writing now till February 28, 2014.”
AFA says its AMAA Media Merit Award “is designed as part of the 10th anniversary reward system for African journalists who have covered and written very good and positive stories about the African Movie Academy Awards in the last nine years. The award is open to print, broadcast and online journalists from Africa and in the Diaspora.”
The Entry Rules, as outlined by AFA, are:
1. Journalists are to submit two original feature stories on AMAA within the last 9 years.
2. Journalists who do not have published work or who want to submit two fresh stories can submit stories written from December 1, 2013 to February 28, 2014.
3. The Features stories among other things must capture the essence of AMAA as a continental award system, its impact in promoting Africa Cinema, Promoting regional and continental integration.
4. Entries must be published in well-known National newspapers, Journal and or Magazine, in case of broadcast and online media it must be from reputable Radio & Television and Online medium from the originating African Country.
5. Entries must have verifiable date of publication and day of broadcast.
(A ) In case of Newspaper, magazine or journal it must be a scanned copy of the published work
(B) In case of Broadcast media it must carry evidence that the material was aired on recognized radio and television station.
First Prize- US$5000
Second Prize -US$3000
Third Prize- US$2000
Winners and Selection Process
A five member panel of media professionals from the print and broadcast media will assess and evaluate all entries to determine the winners. Winners will be announced and rewarded on the AMAA big stage on the day of the AMAA awards in April 2014.
All entries must be submitted on or before close of work on February 28, 2014.
Print Media Entries should be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org and must copy email@example.com
Online Media Entries: link to the story should be submitted on the letterhead of the Online Media Organisation and also send to same email addresses as the one for Print Media entries
Broadcast Media Entries: DVD Tape and storage in any electronic device that can be easily retrieved should be submitted to AMAA Secretariat and addressed to The Coordinator, AMAA MEDIA RECOGNITION AWARD, 17a, Adenubi Close, Off Toyin Street, Behind St Leo’s Catholic Church, Ikeja, Lagos, Nigeria.