By Ogova Ondego
Published October 27, 2016
Athletes from across Africa are expected to participate in an event aimed at promoting niche sports tourism in Kenya.
The 3rd Team Tri Fit (TTF) National Triathlon and Duathlon Challenge is set to take place on December 3, 2016 along a 12km stretch of picturesque beach front offering participants the opportunity to sample the beauty of Diani and the larger Kwale County on the Kenyan Indian Ocean coast.
To host the event, organisers TTF and Leisure Lodge Resort have entered into a three-year partnership that will see the latter host the Diani Edition of the TTF National Triathlon and Duathlon Challenge in which amateur and professional athletes from across Africa are expected to compete against one another for top honours in triathlon and duathlon disciplines.
Martin Mburugu, Leisure Lodge Resort’s Resident Manager, said during the contract signing that “the partnership is part of the hotel’s strategy of promoting domestic and international tourism in the country through various initiatives”.
On his part Michael Owora, the TTF Manager, said the aim of his organisation is “to develop a new sports tourism niche that will position Kenya as a training hub and future host city for international races such as the Ironman Series”.
Owora further noted that “triathlon has become one of the fastest growing disciplines globally and it is without a doubt that this growth is evident in Kenya with the upsurge in interest and participation in the sport.”
The Diani Triathlon and Duathlon Challenge, Owora says, is part of the TTF race series that seeks to raise the profile of the sport locally, get Kenyans involved in endurance sports and, while at it, help raise Sh500000 (about US$5000) for the purchase and upkeep of gym and rehabilitation facilities at the National Spinal Injury Hospital in the Kenyan capital, Nairobi.
So what race categories are available during the Diani Triathlon and Duathlon Challenge?Saying the race is open to individuals and teams drawn from all levels of fitness who have a desire to challenge themselves in endurance sports, TTF says the Triathlon part shall comprise four categories:
- Sprint and Team Challenge Triathlon: 750m Swim, 20km cycle and 5km run
- Olympic Distance Triathlon: 1.5km swim, 40km cycle and 10km run
- Children (10yrs – 13yrs): 250m swim, 5km bike and 1.5km run
- Children (14yrs – 17yrs): 500m swim, 10km bike and 3km run.
The Duathlon part, too, shall consist of four categories:
- Sprint Distance Duathlon: 5km run, 20km cycle and 2.5km run
- Olympic Distance Duathlon: 10km run, 40km cycle and 5km run
- Children (10yrs – 13yrs): 1.5km run, 5km bike and 1.5km run
- Children (14yrs – 17yrs): 3km run, 10km bike and 3km run.
The event will be set along a 12km stretch of picturesque beach front offering participants the opportunity to sample the beauty of Diani and the larger Kwale County.
Any pre-race tips?
TTF provides the following tips to help the participant prepare for the event:
- Get Enough Sleep; 7 – 8 hours is ideal for your body to recover
- Fuel Your Body; eat three nutritious meals a day with snacks in between. Remember the objective is to fuel your body not over eat
- Test Your Skills; pick your swim gear, bike and running shoes and simulate your race day especially transition
- Arrive a day early; TTF will allow participants to familiarize themselves with the route one day before the race
- Taper Off; as we get closer to the event, reduce your mileage and intensity so as not to wear-out your body. This is best done 1 week to the event
- Rehearse; go through the event in your head, envisioning your transitions, breathing and all other activities. This will help you relax when the day comes, and
- Pack all your gear aside as follows:- Swim cap, swimming goggles, swimsuit/tri-suit; Bike, Helmet, Cleats/Running Shoes;Water bottles; Energy Bars; Hat and running shoes.
And, oh; one has to register via Google Docs as an individual, school team, office department, family or group of friends to take part in the event. Chargeable rates, TTF says, are:
- Adults: Sh2500 (US$25) per participant
- Children: Sh1500 (US$15)
- Teams: Sh4500 (US$45).
While Single Bed and Breakfast shall cost 6250 (US$62.50), Sharing Bed and Breakfast shall cost Sh8400 (US$84) or Sh4200 (US$42) per person.
Single Half Board shall cost Sh8500 (US$85) while Sharing Half Board shall go for Sh14750 (US$147.50).
The 3rd Team Tri Fit (TTF) National Triathlon and Duathlon Challenge in Diani (Coast) after similar events in Nairobi (Central) on April 30, 2016 and Kericho (Rift Valley) on September 3, 2016.